Pages

Welcome to Tangible Darkness

Hey there. Welcome to my blog! I like to ramble on about nothing. Occasionally I might even talk about interesting topics, like movies, music, and food. So enjoy reading, and don't forget to subscribe on your way out!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Why I Love the Internet

It's no secret to the people in my life that I am an internet junkie. I have literally spent entire days on the computer - with barely a food break or bathroom break in between.

Generally I'm on for around three hours per day, less on weekdays and more on weekends. But why am I on the internet? What good does it do for me? Here are a few of my favourite things about the internet:

Accessibility
Have you ever noticed how tedious it is to look up things in a book? Sure, the old-fashioned way is great. But books go out of date very quickly. While this is true of some sites on the internet as well, news sites that are updated often are a wonderful source of information. On top of this, they are usually only a few clicks away.

Information Sharing
Since the rise of the internet and social networking, people from all over the world can get in touch instantly. You can find out the latest news from your friend in Sydney, Australia or ask your friend in Japan a quick question about their area for your school report.

Variety
Don't like a certain website? Don't go to it. With literally billions of webpages on the internet, there is sure to be something to please even the most finicky reader.
Great sites like StumbleUpon have opened up the internet like never before. Choose your interests, click "Stumble" and away you go. I've found some of my favourite websites with that tool.

Discovery
With variety comes discovery. I have discovered so many new bands and songs that I otherwise would never have heard of, on the internet. I've discovered valuable resources for an aspiring writer such as myself.

The internet is really an amazing invention. Sure, there are a lot of negatives that come along with it, just as with every new technology. But I believe that if used properly, the internet is a great tool for any person to use.

No comments: